Fred advises clients on taxation and business matters. In federal, state, and local taxation, Fred works with clients in planning and compliance. This includes taxes associated with federal and state income, sales and use, wages and benefits, property, payroll, unemployment, unclaimed property, and transfers. His representation extends to defending examinations and audits conducted by the Internal Revenue Service, state departments of revenue, and local taxing authorities. Fred’s business practice dovetails with his tax experience. He assists clients with internal guidance and operations, including entity selection, formation, ownership agreements, employee benefits, interest transfers, compliance, and strategic planning. Fred works on external transactions typically involving the negotiation and preparation of third-party agreements, employment/contractor relationships, acquisitions and sales, reorganizations, and property transfers. Fred also represents nonprofit organizations as they face particular federal, state, and local tax laws regulating compliance and governance. Fred counsels them on how best to meet, if not exceed, these requirements, from formation to ongoing maintenance and operations.
Fred's Practice Areas
- Georgetown University Law Center, LL.M. in Taxation
- Campbell University School of Law, J.D.
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.A.
- North Carolina State Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the Western, Middle, and Eastern Districts of North Carolina
- U.S. Tax Court
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Mecklenburg County Bar
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Chief Justice I. Beverly Lake, Jr. of the North Carolina Supreme Court
- Catawba Valley Community College / Internal Revenue Service - Fall and Spring Joint Tax Programs offered to the Small Business Community
- Fayetteville State University Veterans Business Outreach Center, Annual Entrepreneur Boot Camp for Veterans, “Taxes, and Other Legal Issues Facing Your Business”
- Wingate University School of Business – Volunteer Teacher on Tax and Business matters
- 2021 Continuing Legal Education Program – “Analyzing the Biden Tax Plan: Trends, Predictions, and Practicalities” (www.Lawline.com)
Fred’s legal background includes commercial litigation. While not Fred’s current focus, that experience affords him a unique and beneficial perspective to provide clients in advising them on tax and business matters. Fred takes a global view of every project to start broad and consider as many factors as possible, including implementing strategies and contingencies in the event of a dispute down the road.
Making a Difference
Fred is a volunteer lecturer and mentor for North Carolina Community College and University Programs for Students and Small Business Owners, including those offered by the Internal Revenue Service. Fred enjoys working with students and business owners by providing guidance, suggestions, and education on tax and legal matters.
The Charlotte Center for Legal Advocacy is an organization of lawyers who provide invaluable legal services to people in need. Fred volunteers to help those facing federal, state, and local tax problems.
The North Carolina Center for Nonprofits helps people with great ideas for serving the community. Fred volunteers to assist organizations navigate the complex tax exemption laws so that they can focus on helping others.
Fred and his family love animals. Pug Rescue of North Carolina rescues pugs in crisis. Fred volunteers his legal counsel to the organization, and his family has adopted five pugs - so far... The whole family supports the Charlotte Rescue Mission, Loaves & Fishes/Friendship Trays, and Second Harvest Food Bank to help ensure no one goes hungry.
- North Carolina Community College and University Programs for Students and Small Business Owners – Volunteer Lecturer and Mentor with Fayetteville State University, Catawba Valley Community College, Central Piedmont Community College, Rowan Cabarrus Community College, and Wingate University
- Charlotte Center for Legal Advocacy, Volunteer Attorney
- North Carolina Center for Nonprofits, Volunteer Attorney
- Pug Rescue of North Carolina, Volunteer Attorney and Supporter
- Supporter of Loaves & Fishes / Friendship Trays, Second Harvest Food Bank, and Charlotte Rescue Mission
More about Fred
Fred enjoys being outside (although, he is quick to say that he is not an outdoorsman), walking dogs, bending the rules in sports/games with his family to make sure he still wins, attempting to golf, and working on his jump shot in case the Charlotte Hornets call looking for a cheap small forward.